A total of 60 ECTS is required over the year. All the courses are
optional (no mandatory course), but the program study must include at
least two courses in physics (chosen from the 6-ECTS courses listed
below) and two courses in maths (chosen from any mathematical courses
Several mathematics courses have no prerequisites and are accessible to physicists students even if they have not taken mathematics courses in L3 and M1. In particular: Introduction to statistical mechanics - Differential dynamical systems in Mechanics and Physics - Numerical methods for fluid dynamics.
Provided that timetables are compatible, students will also be able to choose from other M2 courses, for example from the ICFP master.
Students will have to validate an internship in a research laboratory (24 ECTS). For students who want to get up to date in mathematics, optional refresher courses are offered in mid-September.
• Instabilities and nonlinear phenomena (6 ECTS)
• Advanced fluid dynamics and Plasma Physics (6 ECTS)
• Systems out of equibrium and nonlinear dynamics (6 ECTS)
• Selected topics in geophysical and astrophysical fluid dynamics (3 ECTS)
• Introduction to statistical mechanics (6 ECTS)
• Differential dynamical systems in Mechanics and Physics (6 ECTS)
• Introduction to non-linear PDEs (6 ECTS)
• Introduction to evolution PDEs (6 ECTS)
• Additional possible choices in the M2 MATH
• Internship in a research laboratory (mandatory, 24 ECTS)
• Turbulence (3 ECTS)
• Non Linear Solid Mechanics (3 ECTS)
• Waves in complex media (to be confirmed)
• Numerical methods for fluid dynamics (6 ECTS)
• Other courses in the M2 MATH
It is possible to take any course from another M2 (in physics or geophysics or astrophysics or any other subject) provided that the course is of interest for your future Ph.D.